Countries of the Mediterranean and Black Sea regions have common sea borders and, as a result, share common public health issues and threats.
The MediLabSecure project aims at consolidating a Laboratory Network on the emerging viruses that are pathogens for humans and/or animals.
It will represent a cluster for awareness, risk assessment, monitoring and control of these vector borne diseases. This cluster will require the interaction of four laboratory sub-networks, one for human health, one for animal health, one for entomology and one for public health reinforcement.
The MediLabSecure network will encompass partner countries around the Mediterranean and Black Sea Regions (19 non-EU countries) by means of a collaborative execution of the stated work packages to address public health-related national needs.
Click here to download Medilabsecure's presentation leaflet or our most recent poster presentation
GENERAL OBJECTIVESMediLabSecure is a European project (2014-2017) aiming to:
- Create a framework for collaboration to improve surveillance and monitoring of emerging vector borne viral diseases (arboviruses)
- Provide training for public health experts in participating countries to increase the communicable disease control in the Mediterranean and Black Sea region.
- Promote knowledge development and transfer of biosafety best laboratory practices
Prevent spread of viruses and concerned vectors (mosquitoes):
- Prevent outbreaks of zoonotic viruses with an existing identified or potential risk in the region (West Nile, Dengue, Chikungunya, Yellow Fever, Rift valley fever, …)
- Improve integrated surveillance (animal, human, entomological)
- Provide risk assessment of the different emerging viruses (transmission, spread, human impact…)
- Recommend and implement public health measures for control where possible
MediLabSecure is a continuation the “EpiSouth plus” project (2010-2013). The project is funded by the European Union DEVCO/EuropeAid (Contract Number: IFS/2013/330 961). The Project is led by The Institut Pasteur and will be counseled by an Advisory Board composed by international experts.
UPDATES on MEDILABSECURE RELATED TOPICS